What To Know About A Tooth Extraction
At Integrity Dental, we do everything we can to save your natural teeth. Unfortunately, that is not always possible, and there are times that we recommend an extraction to our patients. An extraction may be needed for a number of reasons such as severe decay, complications from gum disease, trauma to the mouth, or even to help prepare the mouth before orthodontic treatment. A tooth extraction is when the entire tooth structure, including the root, is fully removed.
Care Following an Extraction
A tooth extraction is a serious dental procedure, and it is important that you follow our post-treatment directions to avoid any complications from developing. There are patients who have little to no difficulty and a short recovery time, while others need a few extra days of recovery. It is important to follow the cues from your body and not push yourself to eat or do something your mouth is not ready for. It is extremely important not to exercise or eat certain foods before you are ready. Following an extraction, we recommend:
- Relaxing for at least 24 hours after the procedure and limiting activity for the next few days.
- Eating soft foods such as soup, yogurt, scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, jello, and pudding, being sure to avoid hard, crunchy, and chewy foods.
- Avoiding drinking through a straw for 24 hours.
- Not smoking, as the sucking motion could disrupt the healing process.
- Continuing to clean your teeth, being careful to avoid the extraction area
If a tooth replacement option is needed, we can help answer any questions you may have, and we can also make a recommendation that will be best for your needs, lifestyle, and budget.
To avoid tooth extractions, it is important to remain diligent with your dental hygiene visits. If you have not recently been to see us for a hygiene visit and dental exam, please contact our office located in Wellington, FL to schedule your next appointment. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help you with anything you need!